To Donate Call: 61 7 3163 2866 FAX: 61 7 3163 2862 |
Operation Smile Australia Limited | PO Box 8046 | Woolloongabba QLD 4102 | Level One | Aubigny Place | Mater Hospital QLD 4101.
- Approximately 1 in 500 children in developing countries are born with a facial deformity. Approximately 1 in 700 children in developed countries are born with a facial deformity.
- Children with facial deformities who do not receive reconstructive surgery often have difficulty breathing, drinking, eating and speaking. As a result, many suffer from malnutrition, medical and psychological problems.
- In as little as 45 minutes, one cleft lip surgery can change a child's life forever.
- A cleft lip operation costs as little as $300.
- Operation Smile Australia is a registered not-for-profit organization registered under the Charities Act.
- Operation Smile Australia is part of a global alliance of Operation Smile Foundations and Resource Chapters dedicated to providing free treatment to children and adults suffering from cleft lips and cleft palates.
- Since 1982, more than 115,000 children and young adults have been treated by thousands of Operation Smile volunteers worldwide and thousands of health care professionals have been trained globally.
- Operation Smile provides care for children in 51 countries. 9 resource countries raise funds and provide medical volunteers, while 42 program countries receive education and training and conduct surgeries.
Operation Smile Australia Limited, based at the Mater Hospital in Brisbane, Queensland, was founded in 1999 by Dr Richard Lewandowski, a plastic surgeon, and his wife, Sue a physiotherapist.